01 April 2008

Twenty nine days

This time three weeks from now, I'll probably be celebrating.

There'll be two full days left of work. There'll be dinners to go to, lunches to have, people to catch up with, excitement in the air, feelings of breaking free as I hand-over whatever is going on on my job at the time.

This time four weeks from now, I'll probably be panicking.

I'll have next to nothing to distract myself with for the next 12 hours or so til it's time to go to the airport, as my internet will be off, my bag will be packed, everyone will have been said goodbye to, home all tidied. That leaves a lot of time for thinking and worrying and generally having last minute jitters!

This time five months from now, I'll probably be grumpy.

---

Just noticed an article on News.com.au: "Where to sit to survive a plane crash". How lovely. Apparently there are seven "rules" to stick by - thanks Professor Helen Muir!

1. Sit within seven rows of an exit, and hope a plane crash does not disable it. People who sit there have more chance of surviving.
2. Count the rows you pass when taking your seat. Plan your exit
3. Practise undoing your seat belt. Even pilots can have brainstorms and treat it like a car seat belt.
4. Study the safety card so you can brace yourself properly. It could save your life.
5. Don't take a sleeping tablet or drink too much. You have only 90 seconds to get out.
6. Don't try to find all your friends or family. Leave the plane with those nearest to you.
7. If you land in water do not inflate your lifejacket before leaving the plane. It can trap you inside.

No comments: