If you haven't heard yet, I'm back home in Perth, and have been since last Friday night. Yes, this is really kinda earlier than was anticipated, but about five weeks or so. I wrote the below post on my flight between Las Vegas and Hawaii, which was the beginning of the end. I planned the trip home and made all my arrangements whilst in Vegas. I think the final count of days was 99, out of the country. 104 if you count Sydney too :). Anyways, here's the end of it. I'll do one more blog post at least - a sort of tally post. But other than that I might retire this blog soon after. Will let you know :). ANYWAY, here's almost the end of it.
It just didnt feel like a vacation anymore. There was too much work, too many decisions to sort through, and too little fun. There just came a point where payoff was no longer worth the investment.
Don't read that how it sounds; I wasn't unhappy. Just, I don't know, lonely, I think. It wasn't enough anymore to go places and see things, I wanted to share them in a way that wasn't just reporting back to home.
The best parts of this whole trip were spent with other people; Roberto and Ryan in Toronto, Denise, Brendan and Rachel, and Christian and Angel in New York, Ryan in Memphis, Zack, Domi and Damien in San Francisco, and of course Jason and his entire extended crew throughout Texas. Friends I won't forget.
And when I wasn't being distracted by them, I was missing people back home more and more; Anj, Brett and Tom, Tim, Ben, Phil, Clint and Anthony, even Shane :P.
If there were a way to shrink this globe to these people within easy reach of each other, I would probably never need want for much more. Except maybe a jet ski. There will always be someone or somewhere to miss; I'm sure once I'm home I'll be missing those overseas more and more, just as I have been the longer it's been since seeing them.
Fortunately there's a whole list of things I've been developing of things I want to do or get to organising at home to distract me :).
I spent an inordinately large amount of time listening to one album in particular over the past few months; Darren Hayes' This Delicate Thing We've Made. At first it was only like six songs or so, but slowly I began listening to more and more of it (mostly thanks to my Australian playlist), til I pretty much listen to all 25 or so songs now. It's so fucking fantastic.
Who would have thought it could be this amazing? Three other songs have special places in my heart now too; Rihanna's Dont Stop The Music, Danity Kane's Damaged, and PCD's When I Grow Up. At least I can play these songs to relive those incredibly fond memories.

No comments:
Post a Comment