30 July 2008

Day eighty-nine

Miami’s beaches were kind of odd. By comparison, the beach in Mexico, you go out into the water about, maybe, five metres or so, and the bottom just drops away from you, and you’re floating. In Miami, you can go out 100-120 metres or so, and STILL be standing flat-footed, with your shoulders out of the water. It’s kind of weird, kind of cool, and kind of annoying all at once.

I’ve gone to Key West for a few days, before heading off to Vegas at the end of the week.

Key West is the southernmost island of the Florida Keys, and also has the southernmost tip of the continental USA on it (which I visited today :P). It’s also where Ernest Hemingway lived with his second wife and 50 six-pawed cats and wrote most of his works. But it started as a wreckers town. Shipwrecks would happen offshore and the town would salvage them and auction off the goods. It made Key West the most affluent city in the whole of the United Stated back in the 1830s. Now it’s a tourist resort town! And a damn nice one at that.

Today I did a lap of the island on foot. Long, long journey. I also stopped in at the Shipwreck Museum, with a lookout tower, and Ernest Hemingway’s house. They still have 50 cats there, it was fantastic. Moggies galore. Tomorrow will probably be a pool and book day, and Thursday maybe some shopping. Friday I’m off to Vegas.

I just booked my Las Vegas hotel through Hotwire.com. They don’t show you the hotel until you’ve booked, but through some investigative investigating, I worked out the four-star hotel they were offering for $us130/night was the Planet Hollywood, smack bang in the middle of the Strip. Sold! :D

No comments: