03 June 2008

Day Thirty-three

Philadelphia has some pretty odd history stories around town too. There’s this lovely park called Washington Square. Turns out it was where they threw dead bodies by the truckload some 150 years ago when disease swept through the town. Apparently they’re all buried underneath it.

And there’s this section about the Irish and their migration to America. It talks all about the starvation period in their history when some fungus rapidly destroyed all their potato crops, which was all they lived off. The accompanying statue to all this has one side of all these people getting off boats, which is quite lovely, until you realise on the other side it slowly morphs into the despair, hunger and cemeteries that was Ireland at the time. Morbid!

Finding Memphis accommodation was a real problem. Eventually I just settled for some hotel somewhere, I don’t even really know how far in or out it is from anything significant. Just a vague idea that it’s somewhere relatively near Memphis. “Relatively” is a fairly obtuse word at the moment though, seeing I have no idea of distances anything is from anything there. I just hope it’s ok.

They have no hostels, so I’m getting a REAL hotel! It will be my first real hotel on this trip. Funny thing is, after Memphis I’m in a real hotel in New Orleans. Then a private room of a hostel, if not a real hotel, in San Fran. Same with Texas, and then another real hostel in Mexico. So I won’t be SHARING again after this for a good month or so. Wheeee! ;D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam,I see you are enjoying Philly (any Cheese there?) I hope you are in well before 2.00am shutdown! Take care, mum and dad