17 May 2008

Day Seventeen

Yesterday was my BIRTHDAY! :D And late in the night, this is how I ended up...



If you think THAT looks bad, you should have seen the other guys...

Anyway, that was later. I had had a pretty awesome few days - Wednesday I did the Shoe Museum, and the Royal Ontario Museum. That night Roberto and Corneil took me out on the town. Even on a Wednesday night here, things are constantly happening. We ended up in some pub in the west end which was playing a fantastic mix of 80s music. It simply rocked.

Thursday was spent at CN Tower, and the Hockey Hall of Fame. Even though I don't have that much interest in hockey, you can't help but get caught up in it all when looking at the pictures, watching the documentaries, etc. They have this one room that looks like it should be reserved for the Holy Grail, but instead it's filled with massive hockey trophies, including the grandaddy of them all - the Stanley Cup.

Thursday night I stayed in - or more accurately, stayed in at the cinema. I saw Speed Racer, which was actually pretty fun. ...to watch. It was some sort of kitsch 70s technicolour dreamboat, visually. I haven't had that much fun LOOKING at a movie since the Burton remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It matched the acting levels with the time period, intentionally, and that made it all the more fun. What was odd was that even though it was so highly influenced by the 70s, it's also unmistakably futuristic. I guess because thats how the cartoon was and all.

Friday, my birthday, yesterday, I went to the zoo! And boy was there a lot of mad animals running around the place - and that was just the school students. No matter where I've been here, in the way of attractions, it has been PACKED with children and teachers. It's been driving me completely crazy, and I almost tripped by about eight yesterday, on purpose. They ran into my legs, they screamed really loudly all the time, and they blocked up all the viewing windows.

I got back into town and went off to say goodbye to Roberto, who was off to some cabin in the woods for the weekend. I took him a bottle of that Little Penguin Shiraz that Tim got me into for them to share down there, and to thank him for being a pretty damn great tour guide, drinking buddy and general all-round gentleman. He was going to take me down the road for birthday cake but it was getting a bit late for him to leave the city, so we substituted with some birthday muffins :).

After that I headed past the last-minute ticket booth and scored a ticket to Evil Dead: the Musical for last night. It wasn't too bad, not really anything special though. Only, the last ten minutes or so, as I was in the "Splatter Zone" right down the front, I ended up drenched in blood :P. Fake blood. That was actually kinda fun. What was MORE fun was then walking back to the hostel like I looked above, but with a bit more in the way of blood rivulets. Not to mention my left hand was a bloody mess, like it had been repeatedly been in someone's face.

Every time I passed someone, I tried to look shifty, and they didn't say a WORD. Everyone kind of looked at me and looked away as soon as possible. And the hostel common room was full when I entered, and they all kind of took a step back. THAT was fun. It wasn't until I was in he bathroom upstairs washing some of it off, that this guy noticed me and asked if I was alright. Ahhh, it was great. Note to self: must play more fun pranks.

So I cleaned myself up, got changed and headed back out to meet Ryan in the village for celebratory birthday drinks and dancing :). We stayed out til close, then grabbed some late-night pizza and I headed off to bed.

All in all, a pretty freaking fabulous birthday. Today is my last full day in Toronto, and it's cold and raining. I'm going to get some washing done tonight, not sure what else. Then tomorrow I check out, and wait for my bus to New York City. It's like going home again!!

No comments: