08 May 2008

Day Seven

I arrived in Edmonton today. The less said about that the better.

INSTEAD! Adam presents a book review.

I'm currently reading (about 1/3) of the way through a book I picked up in Vancouver, called In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson. Tina, I think you in particular would especially enjoy this book.

It's about Australia. It might seem a bit odd to be traveling through other countries and reading about home, but stick with me for a sec. It's more specifically a travel book, about Bill's travels all around Australia (and Australia's history). Bill being an American, it's kind of an outsiders' view. And I think that ties in pretty well; I'm an Australian traveling through Canada and the US, and reading about an American traveling through Australia.

And it's really funny. Kind of like British-humour funny. I think Aussies would find it even funnier just cause we know exactly what he's talking about. Americans would probably be nothing but scared, seeing he regularly goes into how dangerous our wildlife can be.

I kind of draw parallels with what he's doing though; things like reading local newspapers (done that) etc, and the way he describes it, I can really relate to right now. At the moment, it's about Canberra, and basically making fun of it - when isn't that fun?

So yes, feel free to pick up a copy, it should be pretty cheap now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I've never really liked Bill Bryson, except his 'American in London' where he gets locked out of his accommodation at 9.30pm because it is too late for anyone to be out after that! Hope your accommodation is not that bad! Note from Rose